Wednesday, January 04, 2006

On Being Resolved...

Well, well, well. It's been a while, has it not? And here we are once more, meeting along the shoulder of the information super highway, on our way to Lord knows where. It's good to be back.
I brought up the topic of New Year's resolutions the other day during a car ride with one of my friends in an effort to coax some sort of stimulating interaction out of the void of uncomfortable silence that had developed around us in the rather restrained confines of the vehicle. When I asked said friend whether she had indeed resolved to make any changes or improvements upon the foundation of which her life was built, she responded initially that she had not thought about it. I however, knew that I would not get off that easily, for this particular friend of my is quite verbose in regards to matters such as these. Besides, I had asked the question. I knew what I was getting myself into. Following a brief pause and the segue, "Well, I guess I could...," I was pelted with the inevitable bombardment of tentative goals and proposed achievements for the fetus that will eventually grow into 2006 for the better part of the remaining car ride.
I listened patiently as my companion wrapped up her rather lengthy list of things she could do better, or stuff that she shouldn't worry so much about, and then, as is the general etiquette for conversations such as this, I received what I like to refer to as, "The Pass Back" or the "How About You?"
"I don't do resolutions," answered simply. "I think they're silly."
"What are you, some kind of New Year's Scrooge?" the reply.
"No, I like getting ridiculously drunk and staying up really late as much as the next guy" my retort, "but New Year's resolutions are pretty much like shitty party favors, they're in the garbage can as soon as the party's over. What's the point of putting yourself through all that stress and temporary self loathing when you know you're just gonna fuck it up in a couple of days anyhow?"
OK, so that's not exactly how things were said during our little chat, but you can catch my drift. Anyhow, the long and short of it is that I have since reconsidered my previous, surly stance on not making any resolutions this year in favor for making one, and that is to rekindle this sorry sac of a blog into the flicker of a campfire it once was. If for nothing else, for the sake of my own mental preservation.
Sorry suckers, I'm back. For better or worse. See you in Oz...
Cinematic Quote of the Day:
"Cuz they're gay." -- Bert in Cabin Fever, on why it's OK to shoot at squirrels

1 Comments:

Blogger cara the bruce said...

blog on, adelfos. blog on.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home