Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Little Change of Perspective...

Wanna hear something intense? I caught my boss crying. Like, crying. In his office. And I'm not sure how to deal with this.
For those of you who don't know, I don't like my boss. In fact, I pretty much despise him for all intensive purposes, as he encompasses in full each and every aspect of dufusdome imaginable. His complete lack of common sense and disregard for his employees is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, as it were, and shit has swirled down the toilet in a big way since he took over the GM position a few months ago following a dastardly coup by the corporate higher-ups to remove our previous general manager. People are not happy. Many have quit. The foundation is crumbling beneath us. The guy used to be a used-car salesman, for chrissake, and he runs the restaurant like he's trying to move our food like BMW's, which, to say the fucking least, isn't what our patrons are looking for when they come to a casual Irish place for dinner. So it is.
And then I catch him crying. Not like sobbing or anything, but crying. Red faced, teary eyed crying. I have no idea as to whether this episode was brought on by some work-related frustration, or perhaps by something in his personal life, but either way, all my hatred for this jerk was temporarily pacified. I felt immediate remorse for all the shit I'd given him, for all the second-guessing, for all the times I blatantly disregarded what he told me to do because it sounded (and probably was) asinine, for all the times I went over his head to keep him as far out of the loop as I was able, etc. The list could go on. Had I been too hard on him? I don't know. Probably. But seeing him crying, for whatever reason, suddenly morphed this demon-boss before my eyes from a mortal enemy to a person who actually feels feelings. Weird. What a one-eighty.
I'm not sure how to respond to this, I guess. There's something about seeing a male superior of mine in such a vulnerable state that gets my conscience whirling out of control in a flurry of guilt. I've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt; he is a person after all. But him being a person doesn't excuse him from being a douche cake. I still don't think I like him, but at least this experience provides me with the perspective necessary to compromise with him and learn to cope.
I'm not heartless, after all. Just stubborn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous guile said...

it's gotta be about his personal life..

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home